A new twist on the same old pinto beans! You are sure to love this soup.
6 cups broth
1 smoked ham hock
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes
3/4 lb pinto beans, cooked and drained
1/ 4 cup fresh lime juice
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup sour cream
cilantro leaves to garnish
1. In a large pot, combine the broth and ham hock. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover and simmer till broth is smoky and fragrant, about 1 hour.
2. In a small frying pan, combine the jalapenos and garlic over medium heat. Tossing occasionally, until brown all over, about 15 minutes. Let cool, seed, and mince 4 of the chilies, cut remaining 2 into rings and set aside, mince garlic and set aside.
3. Warm olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and carrots for 6 minutes. Stir in minced chilies, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cook 2 minutes, add ham broth, tomatoes with their juices and the cooked beans. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer to blend the flavor for about 20 minutes.
4. Transfer 1/2 of the mixture to a blender and process to a smooth puree. Return the puree back to the pot. Add lime juice, about 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well, place over medium-low heat, cook 10 more minutes.
5. Garnish with sour cream, jalapeño rings, and cilantro leaves.