Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chicken Rugs


I got this idea after seeing it on Joumana's site Taste Of Beirut.  I didn't have the spices that she used so I kinda Americanized it.  It was fun to make and I will be doing this again.  I am excited to see the many different tastes I can come up with...my husband and children loved this and ate it all, except the spinach, but I gladly finished that off...I guess they don't want muscles like Popeye...

2 boneless chicken breast
1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 green pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
olive oil as needed

1. Cut the chicken into thin strips about 1/4 in wide.
2. Combine the chicken strips with some oil, garlic powder, salt, dill, and pepper.  Let it marinate for 15 minutes or longer.
3. Cut the peppers into strips the same width as the chicken, tossing the white parts and the seeds.  Fill a large pot with 4 cups of salted water and bring it to a boil.  Boil the pepper strips for 2 minutes until they become more pliable and drain.

4. Cut a piece of parchment paper and set it on your work surface.  Place two strips of chicken vertically side by side (about 1/2 inch apart) and insert a pepper strip underneath the two strips, continue with another piece of pepper, this time going over the strips of chicken.  Keep going until you have used a few strips of pepper and of the chicken.  Tighten the "rug" and cut the uneven ends if desired.

5. With a pair of scissors, cut a small square around the chicken rug.  Heat some olive oil in a frying pan.  When the oil is hot, flip the piece of paper holding the chicken rug onto the oil.  Remove the paper and let the rug cook for about 3 minutes until the chicken is browned, gently flip the chicken over and brown that side for 3 minutes.  Serve warm with your favorite side dish and enjoy!







2 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely flavours looks wonderful with the red pepper

Cheri Witmer said...

Tasted great! Something I can adapt with any seasonings and herbs I want!

Share This Post!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails