Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chicken Borscht


Most people cringe at the mention of beets, I did at first as well. My good friend Ron Harper introduced me to this wonderful soup, although the first time or two he gave me some I ended up tossing it, afraid to eat it! But once I did, wow, I realized I had been missing out on the great vegetable! Borscht is easy to make and can be adjusted to your taste.

I updated this recipe today with some changes that made it even better!  I made this the day after Thanksgiving and it was a big hit.  My husband even went back for seconds and let me tell you, he is no soup fan.  So needless to say that was a huge compliment to me!  My mother-in-law even liked it!


2 boneless skinless chicken breast
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 medium beets
2 medium potatoes, whole
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 large shallot bulb, chopped
1 bulb of cloves garlic, peeled
3 medium potatoes, cubed
1 package button mushrooms, quartered
3 medium tomatoes, diced
4 teaspoons of better than bullion paste
2 tablespoons dried dill weed
Sour cream for garnish
1 package bacon, cooked & crumbled for garnish, grease reserved

1. Boil the chicken in a large soup pot with the beets, 2 medium whole potatoes for about 30-45 minutes over medium heat. Remove chicken, beets and potatoes and let cool.

2. When cool, shred chicken, and place back in the soup pot. Mash the cooked potatoes and add them as well. Peel beets and place in a blender and puree and add to soup pot (you may need to add liquid to the beets to blend well.)  Add cabbage, carrots, shallot, garlic cloves, diced potatoes, and mushrooms to the soup.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

3. Add tomatoes and heat till warm.  Serve with sour cream, dill, and bacon to garnish. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Share This Post!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails