Mmmmm, have made this only one other time before and I am not sure why! It is fairly easy to prepare and tastes oh so wonderful! I added some spinach to it this time for a little twist! Although my daughter turned her nose up at it for that reason! Someday I will make something with spinach in it that she loves, until they I will have her extra piece of chicken...he he he.
4 large chicken breasts, deboned and skin removed
4-8 slices of ham (depending on the size)
2 cups steamed spinach
4-8 slices Mozzarella
1 cup flour seasoned with salt & pepper
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1. First of all, you need to flatten your chicken. I find it best to slice the chicken horizontally in half without cutting all the way through when flattening. Place your left hand on the chicken breast and slowly move through the chicken breast with a sharp knife until you’ve butterflied the breast. Remember not to cut all the way through. If you are scared of doing this, you can flatten the entire chicken breast but it’s a bit harder that way.
2. Now, place your chicken breast in between 2 pieces of cling wrap and pound it with anything you can get your hands on. Flatten the breast until it’s about 1/2 a cm thick. Set aside.
3. After steaming the spinach, allow it to cool completely and then lay them out and pat them dry with some kitchen towel.
4. Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs all in separate bowls suitable for dipping and covering. ( For the breadcrumbs and flour a normal dinner plate would also work.)
5. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan and preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Now take your chicken breast and place a piece of ham (or 2 if the ham slices are smaller), followed by some Spinach leaves on top. Season the spinach and then place the mozzarella on top. Now carefully roll the chicken breast up. I secured mine with toothpicks until the were partly fried.
7. Dip the chicken in the seasoned flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
8. Carefully place the chicken in the hot oil (seam side down) and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a suitable oven dish and pop into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
9. Personally I like mine with just a squeeze of lemon but you could serve it with any sauce of your choice. Enjoy!!!
Recipe and photo from Simply Delicious.